The Paget Memorial Window
THE PAGET MEMORIAL WINDOW IN ROTHLEY PARISH CHURCH
THE MELTON TIMES 16TH JULY 1897
The fine old church at Rothley has just received an addition to its beauties in the shape of a very costly and imposing stained glass window, the gift of a native of the parish. Mrs Grieve, the donor, is a member of the Paget family, who for between three and four centuries have been settled at Rothley, and although she has lived away for very many years, and is now residing at Bury St. Edmunds, she has shown her interest in her native place by this gift in memory of her parents, her husband, and child. The window, which is at the east end of the south aisle, is the largest in the church, and is of four lights. In the principal spaces the following subjects are represented:
1. Christ, the anti-type, as the good Shepherd; 2. as a preacher of righteousness; 3. as prophet, priest and king; 4. as risen. And the other spaces are filled with the types David, Noah, Melchizedek, and Jonah. The colouring of the window is exceptionally beautiful, and the work has been effectively carried out by Messrs. Heaton, Butler and Bayne, the well-known London firm.
Beneath the window is a brass plate, bearing this inscription: "This window was erected in the year 1897, by Ann Grieve, to the glory of God and in memory of her father and mother, Thomas and Lucy Paget, of this parish; also in memory of her husband, Peter Grieve, who died at Bury St. Edmunds, Sept 26th 1895, and of their only child, Lucy Ann, who died January 29th 1864, aged 12 years."
The dedicatory service took place last Sunday morning, when a number of visitors were present. It is an interesting fact that among them were fourteen members of the family, eight of whom are direct descendants of Harold Paget, who was vicar of Rothley in 1564. The greater part of these are now resident in Leicester and Loughborough. Rev. R Burton, vicar of Rothley, preached, and taking as his text the words, "I have loved the habitation of Thy house," gave an appropriate discourse, in which he alluded to the restoration of the church 20 years ago, and the many gifts made to it since then, ending now with this last gift, one of the finest and most costly of all.
DETAIL FROM THE PAGET MEMORIAL WINDOW
For more information about Rothley Parish Church please click on the following link: