Rothley School 1871-1992
This book was written in 1985 with a second edition in 1991.
THE FOUR SCHOOL BUILDINGS IN ROTHLEY FROM 1683-1991
1) THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY SCHOOL IN TOWN GREEN STREET.
On June 4th 1683 Bartholomew Hickling provided for a school and a schoolmaster to teach fourteen or fifteen boys in Rothley. This school stood where the garage now stands.
2) THE FIRST VICTORIAN SCHOOL IN SCHOOL STREET.
More boys and girls joined the school so they moved to a larger cottage near the Church in 1859. This street later became known as School Street.
3) THE SECOND VICTORIAN SCHOOL
Primary Education became compulsory in 1870 and in 1871 a new school, known as The National School, was built on the site in School Street. Overcrowding became a problem.
4) THE EDWARDIAN SCHOOL IN MOUNTSORREL LANE 1902
Mrs Sophia Perry Herrick of Beaumanor presented land on Mountsorrel Lane for a new school and building began in 1901. The Infant School opened here in April 1902 but the Junior School remained in School Street. Mrs Herrick gave five hundred pounds for the cost of building an extension and the Infant School moved back to School Street and the Junior School moved into the enlarged school in Mountsorrel Lane.
5) THE MODERN TWENTIETH CENTURY SCHOOL BUILDING
A modern extension was built in the 1960's and the Infant School moved back into Mountsorrel Lane so that both Infants and Juniors were together again in the same building.
EDUCATION FROM VICTORIAN TIMES TO THE PRESENT DAY
This is written in 9 chapters:
1) Victorian Times-The new school in School Street 1872-1897.
2) Late Victorian Times-Problems of overcrowding and plans for a new school in Mountsorrel Lane 1897-1901.
3) Edwardian Times-Followed by the Great War. The new building in Mountsorrel Lane and the old school in School Street.
4) Rothley School between the wars 1922-1939-The introduction of new ideas.
5) Rothley School during the Second World War-Problems.
6) Rothley School after the war-Changes in education.
7) The Modernisation of Rothley School 1956-1976-More modern ideas.
8) Modern Education at Rothley School in the 1980's.
9) Rothley School in the 1990's.
Arthur William Howse 1872-1876
John Dickinson 1877-1881
John Burgess 1881-1883
George Hemming 1883
Mr Keyworth 1897-1922
Mr Robinson 1922-1931
Mr Tims 1931
Mr Thomas 1931
Mr W.H.Herrick 1931-1936
Mr Mansell 1936-1952
Mr Edwards 1953-1956
Mr Luker 1956-1976
Miss Pamela Ann Britt 1976-1992
SNIPPETS FROM THE SCHOOL LOG BOOK
Some children were blackberrying and others helping in the potato field. Later in the month children were kept at home to gather acorns. There was a large number of Oak trees growing in the parish and an abundant crop of acorns which the children collected and sold to the farmers for the pigs to eat.
October 25th 1875
two sisters came to school with their hair in curl papers and their mother refused to take the curlers out. The children were sent home with a letter from the Chairman of the
Floods are recorded and a heavy snowfall in January 2008. In the old building in School Street on January 13th 1908 the ink was frozen in the inkpots.
Head punished a girl for saying naughty words. Her mother came and thanked him for doing so.
Mr Keyworth was very concerned when there were 93 children in one room. he explained 'that this made map drawing difficult'.
THE SCHOOL LOG BOOK MAKES FASCINATING READING AND GIVES AN INSIGHT INTO THE EDUCATION AND CONDITIONS EXPERIENCED BY CHILDREN FROM 1872.
THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE FOR REFERENCE ONLY IN ROTHLEY LIBRARY.
(Information at October 2006)